Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Pregnancy-Induced Rage

Well, at least that's what I've decided to blame it on. It may very well have been due to the fact that I'm coming down with a cold and felt terrible yesterday (all achy, tired, can't breathe, throat hurts from nasal drip) and had a long day at school, but here's what happened. I made it through a very long, sicky day with my kiddos (who, for the most part, were really sweet once I told them how terrible I felt) and was quite hungry by 4:30 when I was on my way to grad class. Being that my lunch is at 10:30 a.m. and then I teach the rest of the afternoon, I typically bring dinner with me to eat at the beginning of my 5-8 p.m. class. This has never been a problem before, but last night we had a seminar in the library lab. On my way to class I stopped and got a smoothie. I'd had about 2 sips when I got to the library and meandered in. The following conversation occurred (remember, this is my much biased version):

Library Reference Desk Biotch: Ma'am, you can't take that drink in here. (Points to a "Food and Drink Caddy" where apparently students are supposed to leave their food and/or cups for just any ol' random person to take if they so choose.)

Me: Oh! Um, I'm sorry I didn't realize. I just have a class downstairs tonight. Can I just take it down there and leave it outside the classroom? I won't be using the library. I'm just here for class.

Biotch: No. There are no food or drinks allowed in the library.

Me: I understand, but I just have class here tonight, and as you can see, I'm pregnant, and I just bought this, so I'd really love to be able to take it down there with me so I can drink it when we have breaks.

Biotch: No. That's part of the library and no food or drinks are allowed anywhere in the library. You'll have to leave it outside on the caddy. Or drink it now. (Mind you, it's now 4:59 and class starts at 5 p.m.)

Me: (Banging my smoothie on the caddy...) I CAN'T drink it now, I have class now. (Walking by her desk....) Don't worry, I'm only 32 weeks pregnant (I'm actually 31, but 32 sounds so much better for these purposes, don't you think?) and haven't eaten since 10:30 this morning. I hope it won't be on your shoulders if I go in to convulsions from lack of nutrition!!!

Luckily, this story has a semi-happy ending in that my smoothie was still there when I left class at 7:30. Despite it's watered-down consistency, it was still quite delicious. (And I didn't have any convulsions.) :) I'd like to be able to say that I feel badly about my outburst, but it had been a long day, I didn't feel good and this lady couldn't make ONE exception?!?! So, I guess what I'm saying is, even after sleeping on it, I'm still feeling like I had every right to be upset about her stupid rule. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsea - this is Katie, formerly Bishop, from Lassiter. Years ago! Came across your blog and I have to say you're the cutest pregnant girl ever. Hope you're feeling ok. Looking forward to following and seeing your little one when he arrives. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question-- Did you seriously write this at 5:50 am?! Before school?!??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Oh.....Nana is trying to chanel through......oh no...I.....must resist.....her spirit is so strong.
    Losing grip....getting weaker.... Well you should have told that little B-tch that you weren't going to be in her precious Library, walked on by and she can go bite the big one and shove it up her as..... Oh no Nana got through didn't she.....oh that Nana. She will go haunt that lady now, you know she will!!
    Don't ya just love that Nana. She's still pretty handy to have around.....even in spirit...hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have ran with the smoothie and made her chase me!! HAHA Im a follower now! We should definitely arrange for a playdate... or lay date since they will just be laying around for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well my DD....Do you realize that your last two post have been about someone "busting" you for breaking the rules???? Not like YOU at all, but fun to hear about your risky behavior !!! Ha ha ha....laughing !!!! You are such a rebel !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete